The Restructuring of the Odisha Power Sector resulted in unbundling of the erstwhile Orissa State Electricity Board into three separate entities of Hydro Generation, Transmission and Distribution Organizations i.e. OHPC, GRIDCO and four Distribution Companies respectively
GRIDCO has further been restructured into OPTCL (looking into transmission activities) and GRIDCO (looking into power trading aspects)
One of the important objectives of the reform process is to facilitate development of the existing human resource. In order to constitute effectively to this objective, the Department for International Development of UK Government (DFID) have funded for establishment of training centers which led to formation of CORE SKILL TRAIINING CENTRE, CHANDAKA for training the workmen of transmission & Distribution Sector. Later on, it was renamed to POWER TRAINING CENTRE, CHANDAKA.
PTC has been accredited Category –I Technical Training Centre by Central Electricity Authority (CEA) since 2003 and certified ISO 9001:2008 training institute from 27th Nov 2014 subsequently certified 9001: 2015 from 27th Sept 2018.
The objective of the training center is to train and skill not only its own employees, but also the employees of other power utilities/Organizations, in addition we also provide various short term vocational training courses to the students of different Technical Educational Institutions of the country including NITs and IITs. Special trainings are also extended to defense personnel of the country on request.
The OPTCL Power Training Centre, Chandaka showcases:
- Two 50 seat class rooms with advanced video conferencing facilities
- One 200 seat Conference Hall
- A modern electronic and hardbound library
- Wi-Fi enabled complex
- A 10-seater computer lab
- Two Modern Hostels with strength of 50 (32 for male and 18 bedded special girls’ hostel)
- In House Canteen of capacity of 100
- Recreational facilities like Badminton Court, Table Tennis etc.
- Well-equipped Insulating Oil Testing Laboratory
- Demonstration/Instrument Laboratory